วันพุธที่ 28 กันยายน พ.ศ. 2554

IDIOMS เขียนโดย ม. โชคชัย

IDIOMS: สำนวนของภาษา (an expression peculiar to a language)
ตอนที่๑
1.      He backed up (supported) his friend claim.
2.      The present disturbances will soon blow over (pass off).
3.      The police produced evidence to bear out (substantiate) the charge of murder.
4.      You must not build your hope upon (rely on) his promises.
5.      The matter has been cleared up (explained).
6.      I readily closed with (accepted) his offer.
7.      He is ready to dispose of (to sell) his car for Bht. 225,000.
8.      Rust has eaten away (corroded) the plate.
9.      They fixed upon (chose) him to do the work.
10.  My good behavior so far gained on (won the favor of) the emperor that I began to conceive hope of liberty.
11.  The habit of chewing tobacco has been growing upon (is having stronger and stronger hold over) him.
12.  Please hear me out (hear me to the end).
13.  I have hit upon (found) a good plan to get rid of him.
14.  About an hour ago I saw a fellow hanging about (loitering about) our bungalow.
15.  These events led up to (culminated in) the establishment of a republic.
16.  During excavations one of the workmen lighted upon (chanced to find, discovered) a gold idol.
17.  During her long illness she often longed for (desired) death.
18.  I could not prevail on (persuade, induce) him to attend the meeting.
19.  For years I could not shake off (get rid of) my malaria.
20.  I threatened to show him up (expose him).
21.  All eyes turned to him because he was the only person who could stave off (prevent, avert) the impending war.
22.  He is sticking out for (persists in demanding) better terms.
23.  I must think the matter over (consider it).
24.  Train up (educate) a child in the way he should go; and when he is old he will not depart from it.
25.  That fellow trumped up (concocted, fabricated) a story.
26.  This is the time to take stock of (to survey) the whole situation.
27.  What’s the good of entering into negotiations with a man of straw (a man of no substance or consequence)?
28.  The election campaign is just now in full swing (very active).
29.  He is not wise enough to keep his own counsel (to preserve a discreet silence, to be reticent about his opinions or affairs).
30.  That young fellow was born with a silver spoon in his mouth (born in wealth and luxury).
31.  It stands to reason (is quite clear, is an undoubted fact) that the rich never have justice done them in plays and stories; for the people who write are poor.
32.  This suit-case has stood me in good stead (proved useful to me) in my travels.
33.  You have taken the wind out of my sails (made my words or actions ineffective by anticipating them).
34.  I took him to task (reproved him) for his carelessness.
35.  I have a bone to pick with you (some cause of quarrel with you).
36.  There are black sheep (bad characters, scoundrels) in every community.
37.  One of our workers was ill, so we have to make shift (get along as best as we could) without him.
38.  That solicitor is guilty of sharp practice (underhand or questionable dealings).
39.  The usurper cannot maintain his position without the sinews of war (money).
40.  As a writer he has often snapped his fingers at (defined) convention.
41.  The speaker was unmercifully heckled, but he manfully stood to his guns (maintained his own opinion).

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น