วันอาทิตย์ที่ 27 พฤศจิกายน พ.ศ. 2559

็Her unique spirit




All dressed up in modest lace, sensible shoes, and stockings, her graying, curly hair a haphazard puff atop her head, unknown and eccentric mezzo-soprano Susan Boyle, 47, stood in front of millions on the stage of Britain's Got Talent in 2009, announcing to host Simon Cowell, "I'm trying to be a professional singer." Defying every expectation, she proceeded to stun viewers with a voice no one saw coming, slaying "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miserables. On the heels of an audience-wide standing ovation, host Piers Morgan, just as gobsmacked as everyone else, bluntly declared, "When you stood there with that cheeky grin and said, 'I want to be like Elaine Paige,' everyone was laughing at you. No one is laughing now," The Guardian reported at the time. Once the awkward shadow of a woman, tottering around her hometown of Blackburn, West Lothian, Scotland, she was on the verge of a dazzling $7.1 million payout within the year, according to International Business Times. In the following months, she would sing for the Pope, the Queen, and President Obama.
So where is she now? With the voice of a hopeful, yet world-weary angel, a bursting bank account, internationally chart-topping hits, and a household name, where has this dark horse diva skittered off to? Well, you don't go viral and disappear for no reason. We've got a hunch it might have a little something to do with the following things.
In 2013, at the age of 52, and just four years after she stepped foot into the public eye, Boyle revealed a private struggle, one which manifested itself as a clinical diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome, a high-functioning form of autism. It was a relief for the singer, as it clarified a label she had been living with her entire life: "brain damaged." Nicknamed "Susie Simple" as a child, Boyle suffered severe bullying, as well as the social anxieties commonly associated with the syndrome, she shared with The Guardian. "It was the wrong diagnosis when I was a kid. I was told I had brain damage. I always knew it was an unfair label. Now I have a clearer understanding of what's wrong and I feel relieved and a bit more relaxed about myself."
Typically, those living with Asperger's suffer from the ability to form relationships, as well as judge normal social interactions against appropriate behavior. While Boyle is smarter than average, she also suffers from severe depression, mood swings, volatile behavior, and emotional outbursts, as reported in The Guardian. "It's just a condition that I have to live with and work through," she said.
In a candid interview with The Daily Mail, Boyle relayed more recent experiences, saying she feels safest on stage. But behind the scenes? "Off stage, [my bad behavior] happens lots. It always has. But I'm getting better at dealing with it because I know what it is. If I feel I'm going to take a mood swing, I get up and leave." She admitted she's "the only artist who needs a leash! I'm King Kong's mother!" And when she's asked about sharing this delicate news? "It's a very difficult subject to talk about because you always feel that eyes are on you, and people view you as different. I like to see myself as someone with a problem, but one I can solve."

Boyle's celebrity vocal coach, Yvie Burnette, shared her thoughts in a BBC interview: "It's interesting with Susan because I think she builds up in her head a fear of going out on the stage. And it's so ironic, because when she is out on the stage, she loves it. She always fears she's going to fail, she fears that people won't like her singing anymore, [she wants to] have everyone still love it, and love it forever." In the same BBC special, Boyle's childhood friend Lorraine Campbell revealed, "Susan still struggles today; trying to feel that she is accepted."
Long before she shot to stardom, Boyle spent her days unemployed, depressed, and single-handedly caring for her mother, Bridget, at the family home in Blackburn, Scotland. Having lost her father in 1997 and her sister Kathleen in 2000 to an asthma attack, Boyle remained devoted to her mother and their shared Roman Catholic faith. While it was her father who had wanted to become a singer himself, it had been the whole family's dream to become the real life version of the Von Trapps from The Sound of Music, she told The Guardian. One of nine children, Boyle says her mother never pushed her and "hoped I'd become a shorthand typist like her. I never really announced to my parents that I wanted to sing for a living. I sang at church and karaoke nights in local pubs but I was in my 30s before I found the courage to audition for a few things… Every time I auditioned, Dad would say: 'Sock it to them, girl, and do your best.'" Boyle's mother passed away at the age of 91, in 2007, just two years before Boyle took the stage for her legendary Britain's Got Talent audition. But her mother was never very far away. Boyle recalled in the same interview, "I felt a part of me had died with [my mother]… I was totally lost, but then I remembered how she always told me to follow what makes me happy. I so wanted to make her proud, so I found the strength to apply for Britain's Got Talent and I truly believe that she was the angel on my shoulder that day."
While Boyle fondly remembers her mother, it is the singer's older brother Gerry who made headlines with her in a rumored feud over money in 2013, according to The Mirror. How much? Reportedly more than $60,000. Although Boyle was estimated to be worth $27 million at the time, it was said that several family members claimed her brother forced her to hand over the cash by threatening suicide. True or false, it was radio silence for the sibs, lasting more than two years amidst an all-out family feud. It wasn't until the singer's well-publicized tantrum at Heathrow airport, The Telegraph reported, that the Boyle duo would reconnect. Mr. Boyle rang up his struggling sister, offered his support, and all was forgiven.
More recently, Boyle's older sister Brigid suddenly passed from cancer in 2015, which proved beyond devastating for the singer. Boyle shared with The Mirror, "[Brigid] was an amazing sister and a real rock. She was honest and helped me throughout my life and during my career… I miss her every day."
Who runs the world? Girls! And when you're a one-woman show, you gotta make that paper and answer to your fans! While she's been busy recording track upon track over the years, Boyle dropped the album A Wonderful World (Columbia) just in time for the 2016 holiday season. And with tracks like "When You Wish Upon A Star," "Somewhere Out There," and "Like a Prayer" — yes, the Madonna one — she's working hard to prove she's relevant and relatable, seven years into her career at age 55.
In an interview with Vents magazine, she gushed about being lucky enough to duet with Nat King Cole on "When I Fall In Love." "I have really enjoyed making this album. It was great to get back into the recording studio and do what I enjoy the most. There's been a lot of speculation over the past year but I'm great, back on track, and this album proves it. I wanted to create an album that families could enjoy, something for everyone, an album that can be played all year and evoke memories. Anyone who knows me knows I'm a huge Madonna fan and to be able to perform 'Like A Prayer' was a real highlight. As the first British artist to have been able to perform a duet with Nat King Cole's vocals, it's a real honor. Seven years on I still get to surprise people." Spoken like a true girlboss.
In 2014, Boyle finally opened up her heart to her first boyfriend ever — at the age of 53! It had been an admittedly steep learning curve for Boyle, as relationships have always been difficult for her because of her Asperger's. She told The Daily Mail, "People with Asperger's do put a barrier up because they don't know how to trust people. I try not to. I want to let people in." She went on to describe her perfect man: "I'd like someone who's a bit like my dad: a strong person, a fair person, probably a very kind person."
While she kept his name top secret, she told The Sun (via People), "I don't want to say any more about who he is right now as that would be unfair [to] him… All I'll say is we are around the same age and he was a very nice guy." The lovebirds met at a Florida hotel where both were staying, during her U.S. tour. They shared a romantic lunch together. She confided, "He was the perfect gentleman and even paid the bill… Afterwards we exchanged details. When we said goodbye he gave me a peck on the cheek." Swoon! Boyle, based in Scotland, struck up a long-distance relationship with "Mr. Right," who lived in Connecticut. We're guessing it takes some serious scheduling to squeeze in a saucy Skype sesh with that five-hour time difference. And as far as celebrity romance goes? Well, SuBo, we wish you the best of luck!
Ever since 2013, buzz had been circulating that multi-millionaire Boyle was thinking of adopting a child. "I want to give a youngster what I didn't have," the Scottish Sunday Mail reported (via The Daily Mail). She continued, "I have so much love to give. I want to adopt a child who doesn't have much, who I can really give something to. It's a way of giving back for me. I love children, I always have but I couldn't have them." At 55, the singer revealed other people don't always share her views on the matter. "We'll have to see what social services say, but it would make me so happy. I know I'm single and 50-odd. People don't think I'm serious when I say it; they have a giggle at me. Let's see."
The singer grew up in a large Roman Catholic family of nine children, so it's no surprise she's thinking of continuing the legacy and spreading the love!

If she were that kinda gal, Boyle could easily be cruising around town in a Bugatti, draped head to toe in diamonds, not blinking an eye. But that's not her style. Instead, according to Forbes, Boyle currently lives in her family's modest Scotland home with her cat, Pebbles. Her very first album, I Dreamed A Dream, debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard charts, and was the top-selling album worldwide in 2009, the New York Times published. It scored $8.3 million in sales, trouncing mega-acts the Black Eyed Peas, Michael Jackson, Taylor Swift, and Lady Gaga.
Her sophomore release, The Gift, went Platinum in 2010 with $3.7 million in sales worldwide, making her the first female artist to have a No.1 album in the United Kingdom and the United States twice in less than a year simultaneously, according to The Guardian. Who else had done it before? Just a little band called the Beatles. She's been following up with an average of one album per year. As of 2014, Boyle's net worth was estimated at $33 million, and even now, she's constantly raking in royalties, thanks to being owner of her three music management firms. She'd never have to work another day in her life, if she didn't want to.
One-of-a-kind in personality and talent, Boyle is nothing if not incredibly courageous. Close friend Paul O'Grady said of her in a BBC interview, "She really has got an inner strength, Susan. And she's her own woman… she's determined, she's quite feisty… she's tough. You can't get Susan to do something she doesn't wanna do. She really is not delicate. She's a tough, old bird, Susan, and that's… one of the things I love about her." The humble, eccentric, brilliant Boyle finds strength and stability surrounded by familiar faces in her hometown of Blackburn, Scotland. It is in the time she takes off from touring, recording, and performing to spend there that she finds enough safety and comfort, to continue to record chart-topping albums, reaching adoring fans worldwide.
So, what's the secret to her success? Boyle's former singing teacher Fred O'Neil shared with the BBC, "A lot of older people can feel kind of disenfranchised by music. Their favorite stars who they've liked from when they were young, have grown older… and so by the time these [stars] are in their 50s, they're almost worn out. Whereas Susan is someone who is coming from their generation, but completely fresh." Boyle's friend Frank Quinn continued her praises: "She also has that capacity, coming from her compassion probably, to be able to reach into the pain of people who feel that they are broken, who feel that they're very vulnerable, and I think that's a tremendous gift."

She may prefer a private life over a public one and she may have her fair share of personal struggles to overcome, but Boyle continues to sing, despite great challenges, inspiring fans worldwide with her passionate voice. Maybe it's that underdog story that is so compelling to her audience. Because of that, we see Boyle returning to the spotlight with future albums — maybe even a hosting gig for a certain British talent competition! Always keeping her personal and spiritual life healthy and well, her voice will be heard for years to come.

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น