วันเสาร์ที่ 28 เมษายน พ.ศ. 2555

Cracking down on smugglers and encroachers

Cracking down on smugglers and encroachers
Damrong

With just six months to go before his retirement, National Parks chief Damrong Phidet sets out his priorities

Since his appointment last September to the post of director-general of the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department, hardly a day has gone by when Damrong Phidet's name hasn't been mentioned on the local news or in the newspapers. Some of the reports have been favourable, others less so and a few have slammed him, but most of the media seem in agreement that he is working hard to stamp out the illegal trade and smuggling of protected wildlife and forest land encroachment across the country.
"I am not working hard to pave the way for a political career. My aim is to make things right, as all these problems have been ignored for far too long," he says.
Over the past few months, Damrong has confronted many wealthy individuals who have used their influence to encroach on forest reserves and national parks and clamped down on those suspected of trading in illegal wildlife, especially elephants.
A forestry official for more than 30 years, the Kasetsart University graduate worked his way up through the system, eventually becoming chief of Chiang Rai provincial forestry office division 15, a position he held from 1999 to 2003. He then held the post of deputy director of Royal Forestry Department before being named by former Natural Resources Environment minister Yongyuth Tiyapairat as director-general of National Parks, Wildlife, and Plant Conservation Department.
After the 2006 coup, he was removed by the Surayud Chulanont government and became an adviser to the Prime Minister's Office as well as deputy permanent secretary of the Natural Resources an Environment Ministry.
"My mobile phone number ends up with the four digits 2549, which reminds me of my unfair removal through the 2006 coup," he says.
With Pheu Thai winning last year's general election, Damrong found himself back in the driving seat at the National Parks, Wildlife, and Plant Conservation Department. He's due to retire in October.
"Unlike my predecessors, I don't want to sit at a desk, reading papers and waiting for retirement. I have to go out myself and see what really happens in the areas under my responsibility," he says, adding that he also needs to encourage his forestry officials to work harder to protect natural resources in national park areas.
"They need more support from those in senior positions," he says.
With only six months left on the job, he says his priority tasks are controlling the illegal wildlife and plant trade, notably the smuggling of black wood, the suppression of forest encroachment and forest fire control and prevention. To that end, he will be asking government to allocate more than Bt100 million to purchase weapons for forest protection volunteers to fight against illegal wood cutting and wildlife smugglers.
"Violations of law and the exploitation of natural resources have been major problems for many years. These problems need to be resolved within my term," he says.
"I intend to tear down illegal properties in our national parks and take back as much of the encroached forestland as I can."
Since coming into office, Damrong has regularly travelled to Wang Nam Khiew district in Nakhon Ratchasima to oversee the return of land from rich Thais who have used their influence to build both private homes and luxury resorts in forest reserves.
He's faced protests and received threats from locals occupying the land.
"Why would I have to be afraid? Everything I did was in compliance with the verdict of the courts," he says.
"You might think that I am crazy to confront the mafia. But that's my job and I have no 'big man' behind me," he adds.
He plans to spend his retirement at home on Chiang Rai province and take care of his nieces and nephew.
"I am not interested in a political job. Frankly, I'm too old for it," he says. "I want to live out my retirement surrounded by the forests of my childhood and remember my days working for Her Royal Highness the Princess Sri Nagarindra. She taught me so much about forest conservation."

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น